Posted on: 27 Sep 2021
Background of Babyl
Babyl is Rwanda’s first full-service mobile health provider. Founded in the UK as Babylon Health to bring cutting-edge science and computer engineering to the healthcare industry, the ultimate aim of the company is to give everyone in the world access to high quality, affordable care. Through the use of artificially intelligent triage, digital doctor consultations and prescriptions through mobile devices, Babyl has delivered over 1 million consultations and registered over 2 million users since it came to Rwanda in 2016.
We are rapidly expanding regionally and globally to be the world leader in AI-driven digital medicine. At Babyl our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare.
We are looking for a dedicated medical director to ensure the efficient operation of our healthcare services. The medical director's responsibilities include coordinating medical teams, achieving the babyl's mission goals, and executing the babyl's policies, systems, and agendas. The medical director will work to improve the overall care quality of our clinical services and work to enhance relationships with external stakeholders who work with our organization.
To be a successful medical director, you should be dedicated to promoting the trust and professionalism of our company within Rwanda. You should have good managerial and organizational skills, as well as excellent medical knowledge and training.
- Provide medical advice concerning operational issues.
- Provide medical input in the development of strategies, particularly the clinical strategy.
- Provide input and advice on any relevant initiatives that require a medical perspective.
- To act as an ambassador for babyl and contribute to the wider digital health agenda as appropriate.
- Share corporate responsibility for developing sustainable partnerships.
- Provide clearly defined support for medical staff on both professional and managerial issues, including evenings and weekends as part of an on-call system.
- Provide appropriate support to the clinical operations team, including evenings and weekends as part of an on-call system.
- Participate in regular communication and meetings with medical staff, in conjunction with operational senior managers, ensuring they are engaged with the development and implementation of service plans and policies.
- Provide clinical leadership for all aspects of the babyl service.
- Contribute to the appointment and induction of new medical staff for babyl.
- Ensure regular performance reviews and quarterly appraisals are carried out for all doctors employed by babyl.
- Ensure resolution of all issues relating to the poor performance of medical staff and oversee the disciplinary procedure.
- Promote an organizational culture committed to learning from complaints, incidents, audit, research, and development.
- Participate in babyl’s clinical audit systems.
- Ensure doctors employed by babyl adhere to its prescribing policies.
- Lead on the development of clinical governance strategies, systems and processes and ensure the active participation by all medical staff. Attend Integrated Governance Committee meetings.
- Contribute to the development of education and training programs for doctors employed by babyl.
- Ensure that medical staff undertake their duties in line with statutory and mandatory training requirements for doctors.
- Keep abreast of professional developments in keeping with this professional leadership role and maintain networks necessary for the role.
- Continue regular weekly clinical practice both for babyl and externally.
- Offer statements to the media on digital health issues as appropriate and develop positive relations with media partners, enhancing public understanding of babyl’s services where appropriate.
- Represent both medical opinion and babyl’s service at external groups and events as appropriate.
Qualifications Or Key Skills Required
- Medical degree.
- Master of health administration (MHA) or Master of business administration (MBA) advantageous.
- Valid medical license.
- 10 or more years of clinical experience.
- 4 or more years of experience in a management role.
- Clinical risk management experience.
- Good organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is identified.
The vacancy applies to Rwandan Nationals only.
What We Offer
Whether you work in one of our amazing offices or a distributed team, Babylon is highly collaborative and fun! You’ll have a chance to work in a fast-paced environment with experienced industry leaders. We have a learning environment where you can make an impact.
Who We Are
We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant. To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.
At Babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare. We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us. We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…
DIVERSITY AT BABYLON
We believe that difference inspires a better, healthier world. That’s why it’s at the heart of everything we do. From our people to our products, difference enriches every part of our business and creates a culture based on equality of opportunity, and in which all Babylonians can progress their careers. We’re committed to creating an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, pregnancy status, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.Jobs