Posted on: 27 Sep 2021
The Medical Doctor (Treating physician) will be responsible for delivery of quality health services including consultations, diagnosis and treatment of clients in accordance with the Rwanda Ministry of Health protocols. He/she will be responsible to provide technical assistance and build the capacity of the health facility staff to improve the quality health service delivery. Under
general supervision, oversees the administration of patient care at the University's Student Health Services unit. Responsible for the implementation and oversight of an integrated clinical practice delivery model. Directly supervises the coordinator and collaborates with other clinical/medical staff to ensure a high standard of clinical delivery across patient care specialties within the unit. Provides and manages direct health care for a specific patient population.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Directs, coordinates, and oversees patient care within a defined clinical practice of the University;
2. Provides and manages direct patient care to the campus community (students, staff, faculty, visitors and others), including handling of medical emergencies.
3. Prescribes pharmaceuticals, other medications, and treatment regimens as appropriate.
4. Refers patients to specialists and to relevant patient care components as appropriate.
5. Maintenance of appropriate clinical documentation of each care recipient in the campus,
6. Maintains standards of confidentiality and patient privacy in maintaining files and the electronic medical database.
7. Serve as a focal person and implementer for matters related to health and health-care in the campus
8. Ensures the University health facility adheres to national and international health standards, specifically from the Rwanda Ministry of Health and WHO.
9. Provides supervision, mentoring, training and development to clinical staff at the health care unit.
10. Serves as a lead of the student Health services department and participates in the development and oversight of organizational policies, procedures, business model, and strategies.
11. Reviews, establishes, and maintains patient care protocol and standards, ensuring that all policies, regulations, and guidelines for patient care are met;
12. Establishes and coordinates quality improvement, safety, and infection control programs.
13. Follows established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives, continuous quality improvement objectives, and safety, environmental, and/or infection control standards.
14. Represents UGHE at health related community and/or business meetings, committees, and task forces;
15. develops the departmental annual budget and will perform periodic cost and productivity analyses.
16. Participates in reporting and analyzing monthly, quarterly and annual reports, including stock reports on pharmaceuticals and HIS data.
17. Provides technical support for health education activities in the clinic and during outreach sessions.
18. Collaborates with Health Services Coordinator and others in developing standards and procedures for the Medical Staff and in monitoring the continuity of Medical activities.
19. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Line Manager.
● Preference will be given to female candidates,
● Medical Doctor (MD, MBBS) from a recognized university with full registration and current practicing license with a relevant professional body (Rwanda Medical Dental Council)
● A minimum of 2 years experience in Rwanda health system
● Experience in capacity building of health staff and good leadership qualities
● A passion for providing and supporting an environment in which all students can thrive, and a deep commitment to the mission of the University as well as a vision for increased excellence in the student experience required
● Experience in multicultural working environment required; experience working in East African countries preferred
● Experience in Managing Healthcare Departments is a plus.
● Fluency in Kinyarwanda and English is mandatory, French is an added advantage.
● This position will require working beyond traditional hours.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
● Ability to interact with students, faculty and/or staff in a team environment.
● Comprehensive knowledge of modern principles and techniques of general medicine and public health, as traditionally practiced.
● Knowledge of legal and ethical standards for the delivery of medical care in Rwanda.
● Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
● Knowledge of community medical diagnostic and patient care services in the area of medical expertise.
● Knowledge of relevant drugs and non-pharmaceutical patient care aids and ability to prescribe dosages and instruct patients in correct usage.
● Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
● Ability to observe, assess, and record symptoms, reactions, and progress.
● Effective verbal and written communication skills.