Posted on: 11 Aug 2021
BACKGROUND INFORMATION FOR THE PROCUREMENT OFFICER POSITION
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) is an institution of the East African Community (EAC) charged with the management and development of fisheries and aquaculture. It was formed by a Convention in 1994 with major amendments in 2016. It is accommodated under Article 9.3 of EAC Treaty and registered as a Regional Fisheries Management Organization (RFMO) under the FAO UN Charter CAP 102. The overall objective of the LVFO is to promote sustainable management and development of the fisheries and aquaculture in order to contribute to food security and economic growth in the EAC region. The 2016 amendment to the Convention that established LVFO expanded her mandate and scope to cover among others issues of fish quality, trade, and marketing. In addition, as EAC Partner States submit their instruments of accession to the Repository (FAO) and join the Organization, the number of main stream and project staff increases. Against this background, LVFO Secretariat is seeking to recruit competent staff for the position of Procurement Officer to strengthen the Organization, to deliver on her mandate.
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization Secretariat; Plot 7B/E Bell Avenue, Jinja, Uganda
A. Purpose of the role
To manage and maintain an effective, efficient and value for money procurement and disposal unit – ensuring the development, implementation and monitoring of policies and procedures meet national and International standards in a manner that demonstrates Transparency and Accountability and that quality service is delivered to the internal and external customers.
B. Duties and responsibilities
- In consultation with the User Departments, review LVFO’s Annual work plan so as to compile/consolidate the LVFO’s Annual Procurement Plan;
- Implement and monitor LVFOs Annual Procurement Plan;
- Spearhead and guide the formulation of procurement policies, guidelines and procedures in order to make recommendations for improvement;
- Monitor implementation and compliance with the EAC Procurement Manual and all other procurement regulations;
- Initiate and manage the tendering process in a transparent manner resulting in value for money for LVFO;
- Conduct market surveys to identify supply sources, and establish a data bank of registered suppliers for LVFO;
- Receive, review and process purchase requisitions from User Departments; ensure that purchase requisitions have clarity, adequate specifications, for bidders to be able to respond to the tender/quotation appropriately. Group the requests into homogeneous categories and identify sources of supply;
- Assist User departments to draw Specifications and Terms of Reference right;
- Consolidate and prepare recommendations for award of tenders/quotations, and initiate draft notifications of awards for and regret letters;
- Provide Logistical support for meetings and travel requests;
- Set and maintain an accurate procurement filing and record system for all procurement transactions for future reference;
- Ensure that all Contractors/Service Providers have authorized and signed Contracts stipulating their Terms of Reference and their obligations for good performance;
- Preparing electronically generated Local Purchase Orders/Contracts for the service providers
- Expeditiously follow up supply of goods and services and forward certified invoices to Accounts for payment;
- Take the lead in the development of an Asset Disposal Plan and ensuring that LVFO’s disposal processes are managed in a transparent manner;
- Perform any other official, closely related duties as assigned by Management from time to time
C. Relevant qualifications and experience and competences
1. Academic and Professional qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Honours) specifically in Procurement and Logistics Management, Purchasing and Supplies, or in a closely related field.
- Relevant Post Graduate professional qualifications in Procurement and Supplies Management
- Current Membership to relevant accredited National and International procurement and supplies professional bodies like CIPS, KISM, CSP, CPSP, PSPTB or equivalent is desirable.
2. Work experience and knowledge:
- A minimum of Five (5) years’ relevant practical experience in the specific field of procurement for Goods and Services in a reputable organization at a comparable level
- Experience in managing procurement for Donor funded projects is desirable
- Experience in managing similar support services in a comparable international organization is desirable
3. Key Competencies
- Proficiency in specialized procurement and financial management software applications like SUN system, SAP, or Oracle Financials is essential
- Proficiency in standard computer applications (e.g. MS Office) and general ITC technologies (phone, email, internet and related software).
- Proven Integrity
- Self-starter with excellent organizational skills and a proven ability to work independently with little guidance and oversight in a fast-paced environment;
- Reliable, positive and effective team player with a track record working in multi-disciplinary teams and delivering results through collaboration;
- Good Customer Relations, Negotiation skills, effective Communication and Report writing skills. Excellent written and verbal communications in English
D. Conditions of employment
The Contract period is for five (5) years renewable once upon satsfactory performance. The first term is subject to a six (6) months’ probation, before confirmation upon satisfactory performance.
Eligibility is restricted to candidates from EAC/LVFO Partner States (The Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania).
F. Language requirement
Proficiency in English language is a necessary requirement.
An attractive salary package at EAC P1 scale including monthly Housing and Transport allowance.
H. Fringe Benefits
In addition, this post offers attractive fringe benefits including an installation allowance paid once, plus gratuity paid monthly, a personal medical insurance, and personal accident insurance cover.
H. Age requirement
Must be preferably not more than 55 years’ old
I. How to Apply
- Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above-mentioned position are advised to apply online through this system by clicking on the button labelled "Apply Now". Once you have created an account, you will be required to upload an application letter (pdf), detailed curriculum vitae (pdf), certified photocopies of academic certificates (pdf), names and contact details of three referees, certified copy of National Identity Card (pdf), or Passport (pdf) and all other documents that suit most for this job.
- Please quote the respective reference number on the application letter
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must be submitted online through this system
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
- LVFO Staff Rules and Regulations precludes consideration of applicants above fifty-five (55) years of age
- Please note that LVFO does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 10th September 2021 at 17:00hrs local time (East Africa Time).
The Executive Secretary
- Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
Busoga Square Plot No. 7B/E Bell Avenue
P. O. Box 1625, Jinja – Uganda.
Tel: +256 434 125000